from the other side of Tagus river.
("Lisboa is very good" or "gorgeous" I would translate)Up on the hill above São Vincente de Fora Church is the residential Graça district, reached by tram 28.
is a remarkable masterpiece designed by Raoul de Mesnier du Ponsard, an apprentice of Gustave Eiffel, and makes the connection between the Baixa (downtown) and Bairro Alto (high neighbourhood).It was opened in 1902, when it was steam powered, then in 1907 it became electrical and was the only vertical elevator in Lisbon in public service. Made entirely of cast iron, and embellished with filigree, the lifts within the tower go up to 45 metres and carry 25 persons in each cabin of which there are two.In a romantic neogothic design, this elevator is really something that you cannot afford to miss! The café at the top affords magnificent views over the centre of Lisbon and the Tagus River.
Detail of mariner's compass view from the top of Monument to the Discoveries.Lisboa,
. Cut into the paving stone, the compass was a present from the Republic of South Africa in 1960 and it's best seen from the top of the Monument to the Discoveries, that you can access by elevator located inside the building. The central map, depicting galleons and mermaids, shows the routes of the discoverers in the 15th and 16th centuries.
in a Sunday morning.
Port of Lisbon's control tower at river Tagus mouth.The Port of Lisbon
, at latitude 38 degrees 42 minutes north and longitude 9 degrees 6 minutes west, 25 km long and between 2 km and 14 km wide, in the center of the Portuguese coastline is and has been for centuries, considered a safe haven from heavy weather and seas.
The best panoramic view over Lisbon and the 25th April bridge is from the southern bank of the Tagus river. One way to cross the River Tagus and visit Cacilhas in Almada, is by ferry
, avoiding awful traffic on the bridge. The trip is fast and we can admire the boats and the fabulous views. (16 April 2006
Fishing and relax, admiring the beautiful scenery of Tagus river is an everyday activity for pensioners and fishing lovers. Belem area close to 25th April bridge and also the southern bank of the river has long been a mecca for fishing lovers. (16 April 2006)
A view of Clube Futebol Belenenses
stadium, close to Jeronimos Monastery, from the other side of the river Tagus, in a clear morning (April 2006
About the origin of the name "Porto Brandão", a small place in the other side of Tagus river in front of Lisbon, very few is known, except the histories that are counted from generation to generation. According to these histories, until the capture of Almada by the Moors, Porto Brandão was even called "Equabona", and the designation that at present it has, have appeared between 1472 and 1519. About this time, there was in this place a farm called "Quinta da Azenha Cabeça de Morgado", whose last owner, for inheritance, was Francisco de Sá Menezes, who died without leaving descendants.
An old lady relaxing in Afonso de Albuquerque
Garden, in front of Belem Palace (October 2005).
A view of Belem Tower area close to Tagus river.
Bronze statue of poet Fernando Pessoa
outside the historical café "A Brasileira
" (celebrating 100th aniversary next Saturday), in Garret street, in the heart of the "Chiado", old quarter of Lisboa. Meeting place for locals, tourists, artists, and fashion designers. The popular term "bica", to designate coffe, was originated also in this café.
Details of the historical café "A Brasileira
" façade, in Garret street 120, in the heart of Chiado, old quarter of Lisboa.
View of Tagus river and Almada on the other side of the river. Photo taken from Stª Catarina view point. (May 2004
View of Lisbon's principal container terminal of Alcantara located on the Northern Bank. The Alcantara terminal is linked to the national rail network and block train services helped Liscont to develop a useful level of trade with the Port of Vigo, in northern Spain, and with northern Portugal. Photo taken from the other side of the river Tagus.
Newest bridge Vasco da Gama
over Tagus river by early morning. Vasco da Gama has a length of 17.2 km (10 miles), 10 km of which are over the Tagus river
. It was inaugurated on the 4th of April 1998. Located right next to the Nations Park (former site of the Expo 98) it got its name on the same year of the 5th centenary of the arrival of Vasco da Gama to India.